Oakdale Tourism Brochure
Click here to access and print the Oakdale Tourism Brochure.
The East Side Story Audio Agriculture Tour
A self guided CD tour that takes you through the East Side of Stanislaus County. Regionally known as the “Cowboy Capital of the World,” the CD provides verbal directions for a twenty-four mile drive along a countryside graced with almond, walnut and fruit trees, to rich and fertile pasture lands along the Stanislaus River. Highlights of the tour include: informative background history of the area, a stop at the Cowboy Museum, Knights Ferry Covered Bridge, Oakdale Cheese & Specialties Factory, and more. Stop by the Oakdale Chamber of Commerce or contact us to purchase one for $5.00
Covered Bridge – First opened in 1863 and is the longest structure of its kind west of the Mississippi. Located in historic Knights Ferry. Picnic areas and walking along the Stanislaus River (209) 881-3517.
Fishing– From Goodwin Dam to Oakdale is where you will find the Stanislaus River’s favorite catch; rainbow trout. Below Orange Blossom Bridge are the stripped bass, channel and white catfish, and black crappie. Closed October 1st to December 31st. (209) 881-3517.
Gold Rush Revisited– Make a point of stopping at the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers Visitors Center in Knights Ferry. Small museum and video presentation. Located next to covered bridge where several buildings are 125 years old and remains of the gold rush era. (209) 881-3517.
Hiking/Wildlife/Biking – Some of the most pristine woodland in California lies along the Stanislaus River. A hiking trail in the Valley Oak Recreation Area offers a short tour of the lush woodland. An oasis for wildlife during the hottest months of the year may offer a glimpse of animal life along the river. (209) 881-3517. Stop by the Oakdale Bike Shop for all your biking needs.
SpecOps Live Play – Located at 9954 Cleveland Ave (near the corner of Cleveland Ave and River Road). Hours vary, see website for details (www.specopsliveplay.com). SpecOps Live Play combines outdoor laser tag, team sports, recreation, and exercise to bring an exciting, new kind of entertainment to the Central Valley. The urban/forest facility includes almost 3 acres of trees, bushes, buildings and bunkers for an absolutely unique outdoor laser tag experience. (209) 985-7417
Rivers and Watersports
Water recreation abounds in our area. Woodward Reservior , just north of Oakdale, has 3,200 land acres and 2,800 acres of water. It is a favorite of swimmers, fishermen, sail boaters, and water skiers. It has many grassy spots in the campgrounds and picnic areas (209) 847-3304.
Lake Tullock RV Campground & Marina – 14448 Tulloch Dam Rd, 800-894-2267, open year round for day or night use. Enjoy boating, fishing, water-skiing, jet skiing, and swimming. Lake front cabins and R.V. sites with full hookups. Group accommodations are welcome. Restaurant and marina with boat and jet ski rentals. Prior reservations are suggested.
Local Rafting – River Journey and Sunshine Rafting Adventures
offers exciting opportunities to see and experience the local rivers with guided tours, river rafting, kayaking, canoeing, and other activities.
Oakdale Parks/Sports Fields
Oakdale is proud of it’s 21 parks, 3 regulation soccer fields, 4 baseball fields (209) 845-3591.
Rich In History
Sierra Railroad – Golden Dinner Train – (330 S. Sierra Ave., Oakdale) Travel on a 115-year old railroad while enjoying delicious meals and entertainment. The Golden Sunset Dinner Train offers a variety of trips all year long. First class dinners are served every Saturday night. Fridays feature theme parties and murder mysteries. The Golden Sunset can host groups up to 500 people. Contact Sierra Railroad at (209) 848-2100 for a schedule or more information.
Oakdale Cowboy Museum – Visit us and learn about Oakdale’s western legacy and why we earned the title of the “Cowboy Capital of the World.” Hours 10am-2pm Monday – Saturday. Admission is $1.00 donation for adults. Group tours welcome. (209) 847-7049.
Oakdale Museum and History Center – Located at 212 W. F Street, the museum is open Thursday, 1:00pm to 5:00pm and Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm. The Oakdale Museum opened on October 13, 1985, and is owned and operated by the City of Oakdale. Housed in the historic Sydnor-Prowse House (the city’s oldest building, dating from 1869), the museum offers a variety of relics, from historic photographs, artifacts, newspapers, maps, Oakdale history, and family histories. (209) 844-5161
Specialty Shops & Restaurants
Throughout Oakdale, you will find one-of-a-kind shops and restaurants; offering a wide range of dining from fast food, fine dining, and bakeries (including Moss Rose Bakery, which opened 1902).
Oakdale Cheese & Specialties – 10040 Highway 120. Watch the cheese making process through viewing windows. This specialty store features a wide variety of cheeses, deli items, and authentic gifts. A bakery which produces German-style cheesecakes, cheese spreads, fresh breads and famous hot grilled Gouda cheese sandwiches! They also offer free tours, a shaded park with ponds, picnic area, petting zoo, and seasonal fruit and nuts. Summer 2014, their aged Gouda won first place at the Annual American Cheese Society Conference & Competition. Open 7 days a week (9-6pm April-Mid January and 9-5pm Mid January-March). Call (209) 848-3139 for more information.
Town of Knights Ferry – Capt. William Knight (whom the town was named after) was shot in the street and is reported to be buried under a corner of the Masonic Lodge built in 1870. The General Store was built in 1852 and is the oldest continuously operated store in California. The Knight’s Ferry Hotel was constructed in 1854, and is still in use as a bed and breakfast. The firehouse “Hook and Ladder No. 1” was rebuilt on the same site after the flood of 1955. It housed the original Hook and Ladder cart that was purchased in New York and Shipped around the horn in 1871, and refurbished in 1998 by the Oakdale Rural Volunteers so that it is like new. The “Iron Jail” was moved to Knight’s Ferry in 1912 during the construction of Goodwin Dam. It was purchased from the City of Modesto, with cells from its original old jail. Knight’s Ferry has a dozen buildings over 100 years old. The Town Museum is located above the ice cream parlor in Miller’s Hall and is open the first Sunday of the month, and for special tours (209) 881-3314.